35 Additional Korean Vocabulary Words
In my last post, I gave you 20 Korean words from the 8 episodes of the latest Korean drama “그녀는 예뻤다”-“She was pretty”.
In this post, I have compiled 35 additional words from the remaining three episodes (9 to 11) which have been aired so far.(Damn! I wish we had got the 12th episode too. If only the episode hadn’t been cancelled due to the live baseball telecast).
If you are also a visual learner like me then I am sure that hard-core vocabulary lists and plain flash cards are not your cup of tea. Flashcards with pictures are definitely a better option but nothing works magic like videos, especially drama series, movies and similar audio-video contents. In my case, since I am learning Korean, it’s the K-dramas and other K-TV programmes. Like I said in my earlier post, dramas and movies are a great way of learning the most commonly used phrases and enriching your vocabulary.
Talking about me, the phrases and words that I learn through them are imprinted in my brain right away. So I can easily remember them and recall them. (Association works great when you remember the plot of the drama). Moreover, they serve as excellent listening exercises and therefore are extremely effective. Hence, I try to watch k-programmes and dramas as much as possible.
One of the latest K-dramas that I am currently hooked on is the MBC 수목 드라마 – Wednesday-Thursday drama called “그녀는 예뻤다”-“She was pretty”, which is pretty fun so far and I am already learning many new words through it. So I am writing these posts so that other Korean language learners can also learn these words. Here have a look at my 35-word-vocabulary list from episodes 9 to 11.
- 주근깨= freckles
- 투덜대다 (also 투덜거리다) = to complain, to grumble
- 핑계대다 = to make or give excuses
- 정작 = actually, really
- 빼먹다 = to omit, to leave out, to miss
- 화려하게 = glamorously, splendidly, brilliantly, impressively, fancily, dramatically
- 오글거리다 = to get goosebumps
- 사회자 = emcee (MC-Master of ceremony), host, anchor (of a show, program, etc)
- 마감 = deadline
- 수명을 줄이다 = reduce the length of one’s life/lifespan (수명을 줄여가다 = be reduced (lifespan), passive form)
- 취재 = news gathering assignment (of a reporter), coverage
- 동화 = children’s story book, fairy tale
- 재해석하다 = to reinterpret
- 기발하다 = novel, brilliant, original, innovative
- 망설이다= to hesitate, waver, (망설임= hesitation)
- 종점=last stop, end of the line of a route, terminal (station)
- 막상 = Now that (something has actually happened)
- 신경쓰다=to bother, to get on one’s nerves (신경 쓰이다=to be bothered, be annoyed by, be nervous about something, passive form of 신경 쓰다)
- 정직한= honest, frank
- 몹시= very, really, extremely, terribly
- 압수= confiscation, seizure
- 개명하다= to change one’s name
- 거슬리다= to be unpleasant, offensive, irritating, annoying
- 꼬이다 = get messed up, get screwed, get twisted, entangled
- 응원하다 = to cheer, to root for
- 동창 = classmate, alumni, school friend, batch-mate
- 공과 사를 구분하다 = to keep one’s private and public (professional) matter separate
- 호무하다 = be not in the least, be not at all, be not a bit , empty
- 시사회 = preview (of movies, dramas, books, shows, etc)
- 애초에 = at first, in the beginning, primarily, originally
- 무리한 = unreasonable/impractical
- 발전 가능성 = development possibility/ possibility for development/progress
- 유일한 = one and only, only
- 판매 부수 = number of copies sold, circulation
- 오싹하다 = to get/have the chills, to be freaked out by something